The academic activities conducted by the Otorhinolaryngology department during the year 2021-22 are as follows:
1. Otorhinolaryngology department has taught 4th Year MBBS, 1st year BDS, & Nursing 2nd year.
2. Introduced “Case Based Clinically Oriented Otorhinolaryngology Lecture Schedule” for the 4th year MBBS according to NUMS curriculum
3. Designed and implemented ” Weak Student Policy’” in the college starting with 4 th year MBBS in the subject of Otorhinolaryngology.
4. First in college to hold ” Remedial Classes and Remedial Assessment of Weak Students”.
5. Successfully designed and implemented structured “Peer Assisted Learning Program” for additional support of weak students and to give teaching skills exposure to good students first time in college.
6. Conducted “Peer Assisted Learning Workshops for PAL Tutors”.
7. “Peer Assisted Learning Guide for PAL Tutors” was prepared.
8. “Pre and Post PAL Workshops Objective Structured Teaching Evaluation” were created and conducted
9. “Student Counselling and Feedbacks Sessions” were conducted on one-to-one basis in regard to Otorhinolaryngology.
10. “Workshop on Time management” conducted for 4 th year class students.
11. “Workshop on Conflict Management” conducted for 4 th year class students.
12. “Flip Classroom Teaching Concept” was introduced and implemented for 4th year class students.
13. “Flip Classroom Assessment Concept” was introduced and implemented for 4th year class students.
14. “Conceptualizing of Institutional Examination Cell and Setting up its SOP” through agenda point highlighted in Institutional Committee Meeting
15. “Pool of OSCE was Created” for 4th students to help in examination of Otorhinolaryngology.
16. “Pool of MCQs and SEQs Created” in Otorhinolaryngology for 4th year class students.
17. “Ward Test Format was Changed” from conventional to examination style OSCE for 4th year class students to improve their assessment skills.
18. “NUMS Otorhinolaryngology Curriculum was Amended” after pointing out discrepancies
19. “Agenda Points were Regularly Given” for BOT, HODs and ICC meetings for improvement in teaching and learning activities of 4th year class students.
20. “Hearing Day Symposium” was conducted first time ever for students with hands-on workshop on assessment of hearing.
21. “Live Interactive Workshop was Conducted on Cochlear Implant and Middle Ear Surgery” by the Otorhinolaryngology department on August 20 ,2022 for the post graduate trainees and otorhinolaryngology consultants of Lahore.
22. “Clinical Pathological Conference was Conducted and Supervised on Epistaxis with Role Play” by Otorhinolaryngology Department which was selected and awarded in grand CPC.
23. “Certificate in Health Professional Education Courses” were instructed and assessed for faculty development.
24. “Punjab Health Care Commission Honored the Otorhinolaryngology Department” by having Prof Dr Ayub Ahmad Khan in the “Panel of Experts for Otorhinolaryngology” for giving expert opinion on difficult cases from around Punjab involving litigation.
25. “Formal Feedback was Collected from 4th Year MBBS Students” at the end of the course for improvement.
26. “Best Teacher Award in Otorhinolaryngology was Introduced For 4th Year MBBS Class” based on their feedback about the whole Otorhinolaryngology Faculty.
27. “Faculty Training Workshops” services were offered to college administration.
28. “Steps for Improvement in Clinical Training” of undergraduates and post graduates suggested to higher management.
29. “OSCE Examination Guide Book” is being prepared for 4th year class students to further improve their assessment skills.
30. “Otorhinolaryngology Quick Review Book” is being prepared for student examination preparation.
1. “Research Culture was Promoted” and 15 research proposal submitted to ORIC by 4 th year class on the topics related to Otorhinolaryngology and Medical Education supervised by Prof Dr Ayub Ahmad Khan.
2. “6 Research Proposals” were submitted “on Peer Assisted Learning Program” conducted for 4th Year MBBS class by Prof Dr Ayub Ahmad Khan.
3. Prof Dr Ayub Ahmad Khan has a very strong and diverse research background supported by publications from simple descriptive research studies to qualitative research publications in areas related to emerging problems in global health starting from 2003 uptil now. His publications are available on ORCID (https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8417-0397) and Web of Science Researcher ID (https://publons.com/researcher/S-7425-2017/)
The list of publications includes
1) Research paper on the topic “Microbiology of Discharging Ear in Quetta, Baluchistan” published in September, 2005 issue of Journal of College of Physicians and Surgeons, Karachi.
Citation – Ahmed B, Hydri AS, Ejaz A, Farooq S, Zaidi SK, Afridi A A. (2005). “Microbiology of ear discharge in Quetta”. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. Sep;15(9):583-4.
2) Research paper on the topic “Harmonic Scalpel Tonsillectomy Versus Dissection and Diathermy Tonsillectomy-A Pakistani Perspective” published in the March 2012 issue of Pakistan Pediatric Journal as primary author.
Citation-Khan, A., et al. (2012). “Ultrasonic scalpel tonsillectomy versus cold dissection/electrocautery tonsillectomy: a Pakistani perspective.” Pak Paed J 36(1): 23-26.
3) Research paper on the topic “Frequency and Severity of Pharyngeal Manifestations in Dengue Fever” published in June, 2012 issue of Pakistan Journal of Medical and Health Sciences as primary author.
Citation-Khan, A., et al. (2012). “Frequency and Severity of Pharyngeal Manifestations in patients of Dengue Fever (Dengue without warning signs-WHO Classification).” Pak J Med Health Sci 6(2): 302-306.
4) Research paper on the topic “Comparison Between the Usage of Nasal Splint Versus its Non-Usage on the Post-Operative Complications of Septoplasties with Turbinectomy” published in Oct-Dec 2011 issue of Journal of Allama Iqbal Medical College Lahore which was printed in 2013 as primary author.
Citation-Khan, A A., Malik, M F., Ali, S I. (2011). “Post-operative complications of septoplasty with turbinectomy-Comparison between the usage of nasal splint versus its non-usage”.JAIMC:9(4):42-46.
5) Research paper on the topic ‘Simultaneous systemic and topical therapy steroids in comparison with single therapy systemic steroids as a first line treatment of unilateral idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss’ published in January –March 2013 issue of Journal of Allama Iqbal Medical College Lahore which was printed in 2014.
Citation- Malik. M F., Khan, A. A., Akram, S. (2013).” Simultaneous systemic and topical steroid therapy in comparison with single systemic therapy steroids in comparison with single therapy systemic steroids as a first line treatment for unilateral idiopathic sudden sensineural hearing loss”. JAIMC:
6) Research paper on the topic “Frequency of Intranasal Adhesions in Septoplasties Without Putting Nasal Splints’ Published” in July–September 2013 issue of Journal of Allama Iqbal Medical College Lahore which was printed in 2015.
Citation- Rohail, A., Khan, A A., Shafi, A., et al. (2015). “Frequency of Intranasal Adhesion in Septoplasty without Putting Nasal Splints”. Pak J Med Health Sci ;9(2):498-500.
7) Research paper on the topic “Frame Factors for Implementation of Integrated Curriculum in Public Sector Medical College from Faculty’s Perspective” published in Pakistan Armed Forces Medical Journal October to December issue 2016 as primary author.
Citation- Khan, A., Asher, A., Ahmad, A., Iqbal, S., & Khan, N. (2016). “Frame Factors for Implementation of Integrated Curriculum in Public Sector Medical College-Faculty’s Perspective”. PAFMJ, 66(6), 891-97.
8) Research paper on the topic “Clinical Correlation Between X-Ray Paranasal Sinuses and Proof Puncture in the Diagnosis of Maxillary Sinusitis” published in Vol. 12, July-Sep, 2018 issue of Pakistan Journal of Medical and Health Sciences as primary author.
Citation- Khan, A A., Bajwa, R., Usman. (2018). “Clinical Correlation between X-Ray Paranasal Sinuses and Proof Puncture in the Diagnosis of Maxillary Sinusitis”. Pak J Med Health Sci ;12(3):914-916.
9) Research paper on the topic “Clinical Presentations of Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma-An Experience at Otorhinolaryngology Department, Jinnah Hospital, Lahore” published in Vol. 12, July-Sep, 2018 issue of Pakistan Journal of Medical and Health Sciences.
Citation- Rafiq, F., Rehman, A., Khan, A A. (2018). “Clinical Presentation of Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma – An experience at Otorhinolaryngology Department, Jinnah Hospital, Lahore”. Pak J Med Health Sci ;12(3):1103-1105.
10) Research paper on the topic “Frequency of Occult Metastasis in Squamous Cell Carcinoma of Oral Cavity” published in July – Sep 2018 issue of Pakistan Journal Medical Health Sciences.
Citation- Rafiq, F., et al. (2018). “Clinical Presentation of Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma – an experience at Otorhinolaryngology Department, Jinnah Hospital, Lahore.” Pak J Med Health Sci 12(3): 1103-1104.
11) Research paper on the topic “Compare the Mean Pain Score after Giving Dexamethasone Versus Placebo Following Tonsillectomy in Children with Recurrent Tonsillitis” published in Vol. 12, Oct- Dec, 2018 issue of Pakistan Journal of Medical and Health Sciences.
Citation- Usman, A., Bajwa, R., Khan, A A., et al. (2018). “To Compare the Mean Pain Score after giving Dexamethasone versus Placebo following Tonsillectomy in Children with Recurrent Acute Tonsillitis”. Pak J Med Health Sci 12(4):1327-1329
12) Research paper on the topic “Knowledge, Attitude and Practices of Dengue Prevention Among Non-Medical Employees of Aziz Fatimah Medical and Dental College” published in Vol. 4, No.01, Jan-June, 2022 issue of Journal of CMH Lahore Medical College and Institute of Dentistry.
Citation- Zahid, H., Khan, A A., Saeed, A., et al. (2022). ‘Knowledge, Attitude and Practices of Dengue Prevention among Non-medical Employees of Aziz Fatimah Medical and Dental College’. MedERA – Journal of CMH LMC MedERA 2022, 4: 1:25-30